Rajasthan has a beautiful capital city Jaipur famously known as the pink city. Jaipur was founded in 1727 AD by Sawai Jaisingh II. The Pink City Jaipur was the stronghold for the rulers whose three hill forts and series of palaces in the city are important attractions. Jaipur is known as the pink city because of the pink color stones used exclusively in the walled city. The main attraction of Jaipur is its walled city bazaars. In Jaipur’s bazaars, you will get embroidered leather shoes, blue pottery, tie, and dye scarves, and other exotic wares.
Jaipur can be considered as the first planned city in India. It was ahead of its time as the city was designed and built on a grid pattern. The designing and planning were inspired by the ancient Shilpa Shastras (text which instructed how to plan cities and villages and building construction). The central axis of Jaipur is the main road that runs from East to West for over 3.5 Kms. At each end are the Suraj pol facing the east, and the Chand pol facing the west. In the center is Jaipur’s City Palace where the royal family is still staying.
Jaipur Old City
In Old City, Jaipur’s main road that runs from north to south has gateways at the southern ends. Gateways these days are now known by their popular names original names are hardly used. For example, Ajmeri Gate is a popular name whereas Kishan Pol is its original name. Similarly, Shiv Pol is Sanganeri Gate, and Ram Pol is Ghat Gate and Dhruv Pol is Zorawar Singh Gate. The old Rajasthani game “Chaupar” has a great resemblance to the grid pattern of the city. That’s why square between the roads being named after the game. The bigger square is known as Badi Chaupar and the smaller square is known as Choti Chaupar.
The Pink City Jaipur has a very deep history and culture. In this city, history comes alive with magnificent forts and palaces where once royalty lived. The vibrant bazaars of Jaipur, are famous for Rajasthani Jewelry, handmade shoes, and Jaipuri print fabrics.
Jaipur is famous for its Rajasthani jewelry. It is one of the world’s largest centers for hand-cutting of gems such as Ruby, Emerald, Garnets, Agate, Amethyst, Topaz, Lapis lazuli, and many more.
Here are 5 lesser-known interesting facts about Jaipur
Jaipur famously known as the pink city is the capital city and the largest city in the state of Rajasthan. The city is known for its beautiful and mesmerizing Hawa Mahal, Jal Mahal, Amer Fort, Jantar Mantar, and several other places to visit. Each place has its own stories which you will love to hear.
- Under the reign of Ruler Sawai Ram Singh. Jaipur was painted in pink as a mark of hospitality and welcome to the Prince of Wales Edward.
- Jaipur is considered the first planned city in India. It was planned according to Indian Vastu Shastra by a Bengali architect named Vidyadhar Bhattacharya in 1727.
- Jantar Mantar in Jaipur is one of the World Heritage Sites and has a collection of 19 astronomical instruments built by Sawai Jai Singh.
- Hawa Mahal was built by Maharaja Sawai Singh to let the royal ladies observe everyday life in the street below without being seen.
- The Sawai Mansingh Stadium, built during the reign of Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II has a seating capacity of almost 30,000 people and has hosted many national and international cricket matches.
More Post : Top 10 Hotels In Jaipur